" Thou comest to me with a sword and a spear and a shield, but I come to thee in the name of the L-rd of Hosts, the G-d of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast humiliated..." (I Samuel, 17:45-47)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shlomo Riskin's Insane Statements

A brief word on Shlomo Riskin's recent heretical statements about "rabbi" Jesus, as he most recently referred to the screwball Jew who caused so much damage to the Jewish people and the Jewish faith. As I noted in my recent post about Shlomo Riskin, "More Heresy From "Rabbi" Shlomo Riskin", not only were his statements halachically and hashkafically contrary to yahadut, I maintained that missionaries were going to have a field day using his demented ramblings to lure more Jews into the clutches of the x-tian faith.

I hate to say I told you so. It required no particular ingenious insight on my part to see what was coming. Common sense. The most rudimentary search on the Internet turned up a handful of results from "x-tian-messianic" groups praising Riskin's comments. I'm not going to link to them (out of concern that some misguided Jew may lose his way), but I will post one comment I found, to illustrate that Riskin's statements weren't merely misunderstood or ill-advised. The Almighty alone knows how many Jews will lose their way as a result of his remarks. Here's an example of one soul-snatcher who was impressed with what Riskin had to say:

Riskin says that he was ‘truly fascinated’ by Jesus, and considers him a ‘model rabbi’, who lived the life of a Jewish rabbi in Israel. Riskin’s language is honest and refreshing, and his words strengthen the Messianic Jews in Israel immeasurably, proving that respect for Jesus and a Jewish identity are not at all incompatable. Whilst Riskin does not believe in Yeshua as the divine Messiah of Israel, his words are a comfort to Christians and Messianic Jews who treasure Yeshua as a Jew and as a rabbi. In 2008, Time Magazine identified Jesus’ Jewishness as one of the top ten ideas that would change the world. Rabbis like Shlomo Riskin are helping to bring about such a change.

This is what Shlomo Riskin has wrought on the Jewish people. He's come a long way from his days as the Rabbi of the "Wink-and-Stare" synagogue. G-d protect us from the "Chief Rabbi of Efrat." (I almost typed "Chief Rabbi of Arafat." Talk about a near Freudian slip.) A man who professes to be an orthodox Rabbi and speaks like a card-carrying member of "Jew for jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'm interested in your comments.